Thursday, July 18, 2013

Competition Dining

I love watching the food channels.  It is somewhat of an addiction.  If I had it to do all over, I would have become a chef.  I did get my Top Chef Certification a couple of years ago.  I am hoping that when I retire in 6 to 8 years that I can do something in the food area.

Well, in NC, there is an event called Fire in the Triangle.  It is competition dining, pretty much like an Iron Chef Competition.  Two chefs are pitted against eachother and there is a secret ingredient.  There are 6 dishes, three made by each chef.  There is a winner at the end of each night and then there are semi finals and then a finale.  We went to the very first one this summer.  We had gone to a couple of them last year but they sold out quickly this year.  I took pics of the dishes and will show them here.

The secret ingredient on the night we went was . . . . . . . . . . . .   PEACHES!

The first course was Peach Poached Shrimp Crab Salad, Fennel, Bread & Butter Peaches.  It was really good!


The second dish was Peach Lacquered Quail Green Lentil Salad, Toasted Party Nuts, Fried Cipollini Onion, Grilled Peach, Peach Vinaigrette.  This dish was AMAZING!


The third dish was my absolute favorite of the night.  It was Peach BBQ Chicken and Pork Belly
Peach Caramel, Charred Corn Salad, Slaw, Candied Peanuts and Rosemary!  I have never had pork belly before but it is amazing!





The fourth dish was Roasted Pork Shoulder with Peach & Vegetable Stuffing, Maple Caramelized Brussels Sprouts & Peaches, Crispy Potato Dumplings, Thyme- Mystery Brewing Co. Evangaline Gravy.  It was good but my husband hates brussel sprouts so that wasn't good for him.  I didn't think the presentation was all that great either.


The last two dishes were desserts!  The first one was Salty Pecans, Chevre Donut, Caramelized White Chocolate, Blackberry Cream.  SO AMAZING!


The last dish was Peach Gallette Strawberry Peach Bourbon Sauce & Sweet Cream.  This wasn't as good as the other dish but I was impressed by all of the dishes.

If there is competition dining in your area, it is something you must do.  We had so much fun.

Hugs, Meg



 

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY!! Wish I could eat them Meg.. Wish I could cook anything..LOL.. Loz

    ReplyDelete